Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Kite Runner and No More Cokes

I finished reading The Kite Runner over Christmas break. It is on my reading list. I had read the book A Thousand Splendid Suns a little over a year ago so I had some idea of what I might be reading about. Both books are very eye opening to what life was like in Afghanistan. The Kite Runner is the story of a boy who grows up in Afghanistan and at the age of 18 moves with his father to the US. That is only about 1/2 the story though so I was interested to see what was going to happen with the rest of the story. Well, I don't want to ruin it for anyone that might read it but as man the narrator does return to Afghanistan for a short time. I recommend this book highly. The author is such a good story teller. The characters were interesting and there were certainly some unexpected events. So 1 book down and 17 more to go. To Kill a Mockingbird may be next.

This is a two part post. In my efforts to loose weight and be a size 8 I have decided to give up cokes for a period of time. I am going to start with no cokes for 3 months. I don't really drink them too much usually 8-12 oz. a day. However I recognize that I need to drink more water. The end of the school day is usually the time of day that I most want a coke. So I am going to have to find a substitute for that. I am thinking maybe tea (unsweet of course) as an alternative. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.
Also if you are eating out with me or around when I might be tempted to drink one please stop me. If after 3 months I just really miss cokes then I will allow myself to have them but with some restrictions. So starting now I am coke free.


m :)

2 comments:

Brian said...

I love "To Kill a Mockingbird." One of those classics that they make you read in school that I actually went back and read again later.

Good luck on Cokes. I tried a couple of months ago. It was ugly.

the vanderveer's: said...

just a little encouragement...one time when joey stopped drinking cokes he lost about 10 pounds in a few months...just from no cokes alone! you can do it!!!!!